Motion sensors for a small project

jabal

Hi all, apologies for my basic understanding but Ive tasked myself a small project to setup some stairwell lighting.

I have settled with the idea of some sort of LED strip in a defuser (if that's the correct term) running along the side of the stairs - perhaps both sides?

I want to use two motion sensors one at the top and one at the bottom that trigger when people step on the first tread and zip the lights go on - 60 seconds of inactivity (maybe more) and the lights go off again Speed Test https://vidmate.bid/ .

I initially looked at Ikea - considering that its quite cheap and would all work as is. But their sensor is quite large.

I want something that I can have under the step Or to the side that is small in size - are there any recommendations for this kind of thing.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with this idea in general?

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Mogens

Hello! Your project sounds interesting, and using LED strips for stairwell lighting with motion sensors is a great idea. It's definitely feasible, and you're not barking up the wrong tree at all. Here are some recommendations:
1. LED Strips:
  • Look for flexible LED strips that are easy to install along the sides of the stairs. Make sure they are suitable for your desired color temperature and brightness.
2. Diffusers:
  • You mentioned a diffuser, and that's a good idea to ensure uniform light distribution. Look for diffusers that fit the width of your LED strips.
3. Motion Sensors:
  • For smaller motion sensors, you might want to consider PIR (Passive Infrared) sensors. Brands like Philips Hue, Xiaomi, or other smart home brands offer compact motion sensors that can be discreetly placed.
4. Wiring:
  • Plan the wiring carefully to ensure a neat and hidden setup. Concealing wires under the steps or along the sides can provide a clean look.
5. Timer Settings:
  • If you're using smart motion sensors, check if they allow customization of the time delay for turning off the lights after inactivity. Many smart home systems provide this flexibility.
6. Smart Home Integration:
  • Consider whether you want to integrate your stairwell lighting with a smart home system. This can provide additional features and control, such as adjusting brightness or color through voice commands.
7. Power Source:
  • Ensure that your LED strips and motion sensors have a convenient and safe power source. Battery-powered options for motion sensors might be suitable if wiring is challenging.
8. Testing:
  • Before finalizing the installation, do some testing to make sure the motion sensors are appropriately triggering the lights, and the timer settings work as intended.
Regarding your concern about the size of Ikea's motion sensors, exploring other smart home brands might yield smaller and more discreet options. Always check product reviews and specifications to ensure they meet your requirements.
Good luck with your stairwell lighting project! It's a creative endeavor that can enhance both the aesthetics and functionality of your space.